Pre-keynote game: g.co/worlddraw
10.00 Sundar Pichai
Recap of 2017 and looking ahead.
Opening of Google AI centres around the world. Keeping on developing machine learning and AI:
- Publishing a paper on medical use of machine learning later in the day.
- GBoard morse code available later today too.
- Introducing GMail “smart compose”, rolling out this month.
- Photos: “Suggested actions.”
- Using T(ensor) PU 3.0, 8x more powerful than 2.0 from last year.
- Wavenet: adding 6 new voices.
10.30 Scott Huffman – Google Assistant
Google Assistant on over 500M devices. Supports 30 languages. The aim to get more natural conversations.
- No need to say “Hey Google” with every query: Continued conversation.
- Multiple actions.
- Improving family experience: Pretty please.
10.35 Lilian Rincon
Visual conversation with Google Assistant.
- Smart displays
- Food pick-up & delivery
- Assistant in Navigation in Google Maps.
10.40 Sundar Pichai
AI to help set up a booking system, e.g. making an hair appointment. Google Assistant will call an actual salon and make the appointment for you. Google Duplex.
Working hard to give users back time.
Android Dashboard: Show you where (which app) you spend your time.
New Google news.
10.50 Trystan Upstill – Google News
Keep up with the news you care about
- Briefing: top stories for you. The more you use it, the better it gets.
- Switch to “headlines” for news from around the globe.
- Google Material Theme.
Understand the full story
- Full coverage: Using temporal co-locality. Everyone has access to the same information. Using trusted resources.
Enjoy and support the sources you love.
- Subscribe with Google: Access paid content everywhere. Rolling out in the coming weeks.
Rolling out Google News on Android this week.
11.00 Dave Burke – Android
Ten years since the first Android phone.
- AI at the core of the OS
- M(achine) L(earning) Kit in FireBase: cross-platform.
- Navigation update.
- Simplified volume control
- Rotation: New rotation button on tab bar.
- Digital wellbeing – Sameer Samat
- App Timer: Set time limits on apps.
- Do Not Disturb improvements: Hide notifications.
- Shush: Turn over phone to enter DND
- Starred contacts
- Wind Down
Android P Beta available today: android.com/beta.
11.20 Jen Fitzpatrick – Google Maps
- ML to extract new addresses from Street View + satellite images.
- New tab: “For you”, personal recommendations.
- “Your match” score: ML to help analyse your ratings and comparing to the new recommended place.
- Create a shortlist.
11.30 Aparna Chennapraganda – AI in camera
Walking navigation AR using VPS: Visual Positioning System.
- Recognise images.
- Integrated directly into the camera app.
- 3 new features:
- Smart text selections: Recognise words
- Style match
- Real-time results
11.40 John Krafcik – Waymo
Fully self-driving cars. Driverless transportation service, starting in Phoenix, AZ this year.
Mission: Building a better driver.
Explaining where AI can help self-driving cars. Using TensorFlow and TPUs to train neural networks.
- Perception: Using deepnet (ML) to classify objects.
- Prediction: Behaviour prediction, e.g. a car running a red light.
- Learn new skills: Apply a filter to drive in snow.
11.50 Jen Fitzpatrick
Keep building good things (for everyone).